The "10 Days of Genius" Film Festival for National Geographic is a series of short films inspired by the creativity and imagination of Albert Einstein.
National Geographic partnered with creative agency Pereira & O’Dell New York to develop the concept, content, and strategy behind this unique initiative, kicking off with two short films “The Instrument” and “The Mirror,” directed by Sam Spiegel. Additionally, a partnership with the Tongal filmmaking community worked with new filmmakers to develop and produce 8 unique and inspiring short films that showcase the many inspirations of Albert Einstein’s genius.
The series of original short films each center around a unique Einstein quote, such as “I live my daydreams in music,” “Imagination is more important than knowledge” and “When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it’s longer than any hour. That’s relativity.”
The headlining short, “The Instrument”, imagines a world where music and physics are one and the same and the rules of gravity are meant to be defied.
The festival launched May 30 and lives across National Geographic’s digital and social platforms – the Genius homepage, VOD, YouTube, and Facebook.
Additonal shorts include"
· “The Mirror,” also directed by Sam Spiegel (“The Instrument”) a short film that questions what if all of time collapsed to an instant and how far would you dare to travel while riding a beam of light across the universe
· “When Pigs Fly,” an animated short film that challenges the hypothetical, “could fly”, and says, I’ll bet there’s at least one that can
· “Take Me Back,” where a female physicist, drawing inspiration from Einstein's quote that 'the past, present and future are an illusion,’ travels back in time to stop herself from meeting her future lover
· “Movement,” where a Taiwanese-American daughter rediscovers her father’s love for dance just after he dies and learns his signature moves as a way to remember him
· “Relativity Ramen,” which explores relativity in the most recognizable of current day situations -- waiting for a microwave timer that never seems to be done.
- Ciclope Award - Best Original Music 2017
- Source eCreative Top 100 2018
- Creativity: "Nat Geo Just Added a Filmfest to Its 'Genius' Marketing Plan"
- ADWEEK: "NatGeo Is Launching a Festival of Short Films About Einstein’s Imagination for the Show Genius"
- FastCo: "National Geographic Goes Beyond Trailers With New Content For “Genius”"
- Brandchannel: "‘Genius’ Marketing: National Geographic’s Streaming Film Festival"
- LBB: "Your Shot: Inside the Mind of Albert Einstein with Pereira & O’Dell"
"The Mirror" (Directed by Sam Spiegel)